Thursday, March 11, 2010

I painted a car its done and the owner wont pick it up its been over a year, Can I legally sell it?

I was thinking I could claim a lost title at secretary of state, legally make it mine then sell it for what ever I think its worth or to the highest bidder... only... the car is worth alot of money, so would I be breaking some law or setting myself up for a lawsuit against me if I did this even though the owner has been procrastenating on picking it up for over a year now?I painted a car its done and the owner wont pick it up its been over a year, Can I legally sell it?
yes you can ,because i own a Nissan that a customer had me put a clutch in and they never called or anything and never did come back to claim the car,so i went to the dept of motor vehicles and got whats known as a mechanics lean against it and tried to notify them that it was done and the owed me money,still no response so i took the lean and applied for a title and got it,it took about 30 days to actually get it but now the car is mine ,still nothing from the owners,so yes you can claim the vehicle legally,good luck.I painted a car its done and the owner wont pick it up its been over a year, Can I legally sell it?
wouldnt call it procrastenating if its been a year they not coming back and each state rules are different so talk with your dmv or court house about it id say if one was to charge 150 day storeage they would have to pay that or let you have the car it would have been gone in 90 days
Check your state/provincial laws but Dodge Man is correct. Most areas allow a shop/technician to place a lean on the vehicle and after a certain amount of time, can claim the vehicle as their own if the outstanding debt has not been paid.
like dodgeman said apply for a lein and send the owner a registered letter that way he has to sign for it and you get back a reciept showing he was contacted
All you need to do is file a mechanics lien,then if he don't pick it up after the set amout of days you can then file for a title.
You have unquestionble right to hold for services rendered


in most states,they are rght call DMV and explain they will


help you and if the party wants the car back they must also


pay storage fees.
Check with your state regarding abandoned property. I am assuming that the owner did not pay the bill yet? Factor in storage fees, etc. , this may have some weight on whether you can take possession.
Check out a Mechanics Lien not a title.

No comments:

Post a Comment