Thursday, March 11, 2010

How long do I have to wait before I can wax a newly painted car surface?

The paints that are used by professionals in the body shop are made to totally dry,through a chemical reaction,in about 3 days.At that point the new finish may be treated normally with waxes and cleaners.I know this because I've been a painter for 40 years.How long do I have to wait before I can wax a newly painted car surface?
They told me to wait 30-days after I had my motorcycle painted.How long do I have to wait before I can wax a newly painted car surface?
For best results you would want to wait at least 30 to 60 days before washing or waxing the car. The paint may not be completely dry. Even though it does feel and look dry there are often times to where if washed too soon the paint and start to chip or flake off when you go to wash or wax it. Also if you seal the paint too early, it tends to pit and sometimes fade sooner then it should. 30 to 60 days. Also if you can give it really good sun exposure this will help seal the paint up. It would be the same or close to the same as if it where being baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment