Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How to sand car down for paint?

I just want to sand my car down, I don't want to spray primer or anything on it. I'm planning on painting it orange, the original color now is black. Should I just sand down the whole car with 320 grit sand paper. Since I'm putting on a new color should I sand all the way down. Should I do it by hand or use a dual action sander. What other essential tools should I buy? I plan on going to Maaco to get it painted. The main purpose for me sanding it down myself is to save some green.How to sand car down for paint?
No need to sand it all the way down. If the original paint is holding (not flaking off) there is no reason why the new color won't stick to the stuff that is stuck on. The original paint has the primer and undercoat under it on the metal. You in fact do not want to go to the metal if you don't have to. Nothing beats factory undercoating. The only time you go down to metal is for rust (the rust MUST GO completely, then it MUST be primed before paint color can be put on top. That is all primer is for. Against the bare metal. Doesn't matter the color. However, you may need to get an additional quart of paint (tell them you are painting over black) because there may not be enough pigment in the paint you got to cover it evenly in one coat. You will end up with ';shades of dark orange';.


Whatever, Maaco does not do any body work. You got to do all the prep yourself. So grind the rust out and fill in the grinding marks and sand it smooth and prime. Primer goes on spots that is not paint on paint (so if it is on bodywork, it is primed/ if it is baremetal it is primed.


You can hand sand if you want. You have more control.


NOTE: Do Not sand in a circular pattern. Straight line sanding. Circular will show thru the final finish as sanding marks.How to sand car down for paint?
start over go to maco a different one. get a estimate in writing. then ask how much would i save if i sanded it myself.. this is called wet sanding. you buy wet sandpaper. fine grit.. it takes about four days to do the whole car workin about six hours a day.. but the end result.. is a better looking paint job ok..
take it to maaco just as it is.if you sand your car down you will expose the metal and it will begin to rust.that will be a bigger problem.i cant imagine you will be saving much by sanding yourself.they still need to prep the panels.your may want to ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment