Sunday, March 7, 2010

How to get paint off my car without taking my car's original paint off too?

Last night I was pulling into my garage and cut way too close and hit the side of my garage. So I have white paint off the aluminum on the side of the garage stretching down the entire side of my tan car, from the back passenger door to the bumper, about a foot and a half high. How can I get the white paint off without taking off my car's tan paint? I can't afford a body shop, so is there a product designed to do this? I would really appreciate any advice on how to fix this. I am so very upset by how awful my car looks. Its a 1993 ford station wagon if that matters.How to get paint off my car without taking my car's original paint off too?
Find a quart container of lacquer thinner at the hardware store then wet a soft cloth with it.Apply to the transferred paint,letting it dissolve .Protect your skin from the drying effects by wearing heavy rubber gloves,not latex.Do this with ventilation,the fumes are strong enough to make someone dizzy and are highly flammable.How to get paint off my car without taking my car's original paint off too?
Paint cleaner waxes, becareful to use the least abrasive compund as possible. What good is it to remove the bad paint and damage the car's paint?





Try Meguirs or Mother's products that are safe for clear coats. I have had good results from our car hitting our garage door tansferring the garage door paint onto our car.





The car's make or condition should not matter, accidents happen.
You can use buffing compound such as 3M Finnesse and get it off most likely.





I would use some lacquer thinner first, that would dissolve the house paint but not hurt the Taurus paint. You would still need to buff it though.
I would try rubbing compound first. Such as the 3M finesse it mentioned above. If that won't cut through it by itself, Mothers and Meguiers both offer clay bar kits that will take it off with a little elbow grease.
Try ordinary rubbing compound available nearly anywhere.
meguiars ultimate compound + microfiber towel
A little polishing compound and a clean, wet cloth will take it right off.





Just FYI, rubbing compound and polishing compound are similar but not the same. Polishing compound is a finer grit, and therefore, less abrasive than rubbing compound. Rubbing compound can leave swirl marks and can even take off the clear coat if you're too aggressive with it. I'd try polishing compound first.





(For reasons I think are incredibly obvious,) I highly suggest against using thinner on your car's finish. Think of this is like a hair cut, it's easy to go to cut more off but it's awfully tough to put it back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment