Sunday, March 7, 2010

I just bought a new HLVP Gravity feed Spray Gun 1.4 mm to Paint my car? Anything I should know?

I've done some research in spraying and 1.4 mm tip is probably the best route to go for me. I got a hvlp gravity fed gun too. I guess what i am wondering IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR WHEN PAINTING MY WHOLE WITH THIS GUN? i am aware of the needed air pressure as well so you can leave that part out as well. Im lost on WHAT TYPE OF PAINT TO BUY?? and CAN I PAINT THE CAR IN SECTIONS? LIKE TAKE OFF THE DOOR AND PAINT THAT SEPERATE?? what are the negative sides to painting seperate items?I just bought a new HLVP Gravity feed Spray Gun 1.4 mm to Paint my car? Anything I should know?
Go to an automotive paint store. They will tell you everything you need to know on what paint to use. Also make sure you have a CLEAN/DRY air supply. You should make sure you have dirt/water filters on the air line. Sections is fine. Just make sure you buy enough paint to do everything you want first time around. Sometimes their can be slight differences in color when they mix new cans of paint. Clean the paint gun really really good after each use. This may require you to take the whole thing apart. I put bags in my gun. This allows the gun to spray in any position even upside down. Plus it make it impossible to have an accidental spill. You have to buy a kit to use the bags. I'm not sure what its called.I just bought a new HLVP Gravity feed Spray Gun 1.4 mm to Paint my car? Anything I should know?
Practice first. Get some old panels from a junk yard or something similar to what you will be painting. Go to the paint tore or a body shop and ask for old or used batches. Get used to how the gun sprays and dry times. How to clean and tack the panels. What grits the base coat will cover.


Also ask the paint store if they can run you some copies of the T.D.S sheets. This will be of great help.
That's how you do it cover (mask) everything you don't wanna paint.


Why would you want to paint your whole?


Sounds like you have all you need except knowledge,


I'd go and learn some things first before I used it.


Be careful too.
1.4 is a good tip to go with. best bet is to go with basecoat/clearcoat. remember to maintain the same air pressure,(30 psi at gun). depending on the gun. metallic/pearl colors, keep the same distance, # of coats (paintng it in parts), and don't try to cover it in one coat. if it takes 5 coats of color, or more, depending on the brand, do it. it's not as easy as you think, especially when it comes to the clearcoat. you have to watch what's laying down on the vehecle as you spray. toohard to expain in detail, point is it takes experience. good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment